Friday, October 3, 2008

I friggin love October.

I really do. I always get some retarded-heavy crush in October. It's the weather, SEC football (even when I was on the west coast this was a factor), the consequent bourbon, hormones blazing from nearby college campuses. It's all in the air. And then there's Halloween, of course. As a kid I was like, screw Santa Claus. I wanna look like a skeleton. Or Cyndi Lauper. But the best part was roaming the streets, something I still cherish but can never do in this damn place that's made me fat as all get out.

Anyway. All of my windows are open and there's a music festival going on just a few blocks away. I totally feel like making out with somebody. But instead I'll blare all of the live R&B I have, which is lots. That's another fall/October association-- outdoor R&B concerts....

In Alabama the fall brings this festival season that is like a goldmine for 70s-late 90s R&B enthusiasts. Groups that have long had their day in the sun, or even 1-2 hit wonders will abound in these things. I have always been insane to catch these acts while my friends scratched their heads in wonder, but somehow I'd get someone to go with me. There's nothing like those first few steps into an R&B show: you feel the bass tickling your chest from outside the doors or gates, and when you start to weave your way through the crowd you are hit with about 17 different varieties of cologne and perfume. And I LOVE IT. Everyone is dressed and in a romantic mood, and let me tell you-- er'body gone be gettin some tonight.

I have seen some of my favorite R&B performances in these random Alabama fall music festivals. The Derelict (see previous post for past fella nickname reference) actually took me to see Earth, Wind, And Fire for the first time in 1997 in Birmingham. If you've ever spoken to me for even 10 minutes you know that this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE GROUP OF GOD-SENT PROPHETS POSING AS MUSICIANS. They played with Teena Marie and Larry Graham with Graham Central Station. My poor little unsuspecting mind was blown about into pieces like so many paper confetti leaves that school teachers decorate the picnic tables with during these blessed fall months. To add to the list: The Time, Ohio Players, The Gap Band, Brick, Dazz Band. Then I saw damned Chaka Khan reunited with Rufus opening for EWF one special last day in September, and that just about ruined me.

KJ

No comments: